In June 2018, while in Northumberland to give a talk to a local history society, the three "Blacketteers", Pat Longbottom, Martin Blackett and Al Kirtley stayed at Matfen Hall, then still owned by Sir Hugh Blackett.
Sir Hugh kindly showed us round the recently restored ice house in the grounds of Matfen, where ice for the main house was at one time made. and which had hitherto been derelict for many years. Here are some of the photos taken by Al Kirtley on that day.
Although no direct blood relationships between the Blacketts and the Cavendish family have been discovered there are a number of indirect connections through marriage, including several interesting ones.
James Blackett was baptised in St. Ninians, Stirlingshire, Scotland in 1727, the son of Malcolm Blackett and Jennet Cairns. However, on the marriage of his parents in 1726 his father was described as Malcolm Blackater, lawful son to Malcolm Blackater and over subsequent generations the surname varies between Blackett, Blacketer and Blackadder with slight variations.
The following names of Blacketts/Blackets, including those with a Christian name of Blackett, appear in the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) website.
A "State funeral" was conducted at Trinity Church, in Portsmouth Virginia on Sunday the 15th of October 1775. The Commanding officer of the Virginia detachment of the 14th Regiment of Foot, Captain William Blackett, had died the previous day
The presentation of the final profits from the sale of ‘A History of the Blacketts’ took place on Friday 15 April 2016 at the ruins of the ancient Blackett home of Woodcroft, Weardale, County Durham (for details of the history of Woodcroft please click here).